Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Red Carpet

Tomorrow is the Oscars. I think I'm supposed to be in Chicago right now, not sure how those plans got screwed up. It's okay, I see Paul and Brian in two weeks(!) and have plans to watch the show with online friends. Is that weird?

I remember one of my first dates with Lance was watching the Superbowl. I was terrified to speak because I heard him on the radio talking about how he hated Superbowl parties because of women who viewed them as a social event rather than a sporting event. I was so mute, he even made a comment. I'm sure he wishes I was still as silent at times. SO...the point being is that the Oscars are similar for us. We love movies and enjoy the Oscars quite a bit despite how freaking long it lasts. We want movie fans and minimal talk during the important times of the show.

Here are my predictions and favorites for the year. My personal vote is listed second.

Best Actor: Colin Firth, Ryan Gosling (Why wasn't this guy nominated???)
Best Actress: Natalie Portman, Natalie Portman
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, Geoffrey Rush
Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, Melissa Leo
Best Director: David Fincher, Darren Aronofsky (I'll be fine with a win for Fincher because he managed to make a movie about FB that was interesting and not a lot of directors could do that. Aronofsky deserves to win because he made a movie that nobody else could make, truly his vision.)
Original Screenplay: The King's Speech, The Kids Are All Right
Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network, Toy Story 3
Original Score: Let's just say I can't wait to see Trent Reznor on stage.
Film Editing: The Social Network, The Social Network
Cinematography: True Grit, True Grit
Best Picture: The King's Speech, Black Swan

Here is how I would rank the movies nominated for Best Picture:
Black Swan
The Fighter
Toy Story 3
True Grit
The Social Network
The King's Speech
The Kids Are All Right
Inception
127 Hours
Winter's Bone

The top four movies are all interchangeable for me depending on my mood.

While there are a couple of nominations that I scratched my head over, there is nothing to make me sick like last year. Well, except the omission of Ryan Gosling this year.

3 comments:

  1. We are such movie slackers and just saw The King's Speech last night. That's the ONLY one we've seen. I did see Alice in Wonderland which just won for Costume Design. Does that count?

    We have movie watching plans. We will see the others. We will. We will?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will, I promise. This is a hard one for me too. Our first date was watching two movies. We love them, artsy to mainstream, but I feel like I have so much other stuff to do. Even at home, it's hard to sit down and watch, rather than maybe clean and watch.

    That said, you need to see my top 7 movies, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll get on it for sure! I know Jacob has Social Network in line next.

    ReplyDelete